Monday, October 13, 2008

A Great Honor

I received an email today that I have been accepted as an affiliated photographer for the organization "Now I Lay Me Down to Sleep", and I feel incredibly honored to have been selected.

I believe my interest in volunteering with NILMDTS stems from the circumstances surrounding "Munchkin's" birth last year. He was nearly 8 weeks early and was in the NICU for 2 long weeks. During that time, I took many pictures of my sweet baby. When I had to leave him at the hospital and go home, I would look at the pictures often and feel a closeness to him even though he wasn't with me.

As I sat in the NICU everyday, I took comfort in knowing that our time there was coming to an end and we would soon be able to take him home. But at the same time, my heart ached for those families who were not so lucky.

I know now that, had circumstances been different for us, I would want pictures of my sweet baby. Memory is such a delicate thing. No matter how hard you try to remember something like a new baby's face or their tiny fingers, once it's gone, the memories undoubtedly fade.

That is what is so incredible about NILMDTS. When I found out about this incredible organization, I knew instantly that I wanted to be involved. Just watch this segment from The Today Show and you'll see why I am so pleased to be a part of it.



One of the co-founders of NILMDTS is Cheryl Haggard. Click HERE to read an incredible letter that she wrote to her infant son who passed away when he was just 6 days old. When I read this letter, I found myself sitting at my computer, bawling. It was then that I filled out my application. I know that being a part of these gut-wrenching moments will be extremely difficult, but also very rewarding. To be there when the veil is so thin, when these precious spirits return to their loving Father in Heaven..... (there are no words.)

Until next time... Jami

6 comments:

Erica Hanks said...

I read about this organization several months ago on someone elses blog and visited their site. What an awesome opportunity for you to provide such a special service to these families.

Several (many) years ago I had a very close friend who's baby was stillborn at full term. It was such a sad time. They had a viewing for him at the funeral home and he was just a perfect looking little guy. A man in our ward owned the funeral home and I asked if he had taken any pictures. He said he hadn't and I suggested that it might be a good idea. They were so happy to have the pictures of their little boy!

Andrea said...

This seems like a really neat cause. How wonderful for you to be part of it!

Jaime said...

What an incredible thing to do. That video made me cry.

Evette Mendisabal said...

Oh! I am heart broken for the families that have to endure this. I can't imagine how I would feel if it were me ... I hope and pray it never will be. Jami, you are truely an inspiration. To be part of an organization like this takes a lot of heart and an incredible faith in the Lord and our Heavely Father, I admire you and think you are an incredible person. I thank you for being willing to give this beautiful gift to these families in such a time of grief and great loss. I know you will do a fantastic job, and don't doubt that you will be a comfort to the families you are blessed to be able to work and serve. Thank you.

Evette

Heather said...

You were chosen for a reason. You have the biggest and sweetest heart I am really happy for you. I sent an email to you.... good luck

Erica Hanks said...

How are you doing? Hope things are going ok! I miss your posts and pics! (I'm a picture junkie!)